Everybody Wins with Family Meals
Family meals are important. Adults who have regular family meals eat better and are healthier. Children and teens who have family meals eat better, feel better about themselves, get along better with other people, and do better in school.
How to Serve Family-Style Meals at Home
Family Fun Healthy Eating
Cook Together. Eat Together.
Family mealtime is fun time. Get your kids involved in preparing family meals. Check out these ideas for 2- to 5-year-old kids.
- Make "faces" out of pieces of vegetables and fruits.
- Scrub vegetables or fruits.
- Tear lettuce or greens.
- Snap green beans.
- Add ingredients.
- Spread peanut butter.
- Shake a drink in a sealed container.
4 to 5-year-olds
- Peel some vegetables and fruits like bananas.
- Cut soft fruits with a plastic knife. Only adults should use sharp knives.
- Mash soft fruits, vegetables and beans.
- Measure dry ingredients.
- Measure liquids with help.
- Wipe off counters.
- Potato person Decorate half a baked sweet potato. Put sliced cherry tomatoes, peas and low-fat (1%) cheese on the sweet potato to make a funny face.
- Put kids in charge Ask your child to name new vegetable or fruit creations. Let them arrange raw vegetables or fruits into a fun shape or design.
Plan meals ahead of time
Use the “What’s On Your Plate” calendar to plan your family meals for the week.
Family mealtime is a set time and place for the family to all get together and share the same food.
Here are a few ideas to ask your family at mealtime:
- What made you feel really happy today?
- What did you eat at lunch today?
- What’s your favorite veggie? Why?
- Tell me one thing you learned today.
- What made you laugh today?
Eat More Vegetables and Win!
Explore More Vegetables and Win! Make mealtime fun and play this vegetable game with your family!
- Bring a single die to the dinner table.
- Start with the youngest person on the table.
- Whatever number they roll, they must name that many foods they like and why. Bonus points for ChooseMyPlate foods!
- Pass the die to the next player and continue.
- The person with the most points at the end of the meal wins!!
Fun Food News - Healthy Eating
Facts & Activity Sheets
Harvest of the Month
Meet Champion Mom Anna
Recognizing amazing moms from Arizona, and what makes them champions.
"One of the things I like to do during our family meals is teach my son how to serve himself so that he can learn good portion sizes and learn to become more independent. He likes to do things on his own now, and serving himself would be another important achievement in growing up."
Champion Mom from Arizon
Anna made healthy changes because her family is important to her. As a family they eat together, Anna's kids learn about choosing a wide variety of healthy foods while communicating as a family.
Do you know a Champion Mom?
We're always looking for champion moms. If you know anyone you would like to recommend, please Suggest a Champion Mom.