½ cup onion, sliced in strips
1 ¾ cups (3-4 medium) carrots, thinly sliced
1½ teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1 cup fresh or frozen Chinese pea pods
1 tablespoon water
1 medium baking apple, cored and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups cooked brown rice
- Wash hand with warm water and soap. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Stir-fry cubed chicken breast in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in non-stick skillet until browned and cooked (at least 165 °F). Remove from skillet.
- Stir-fry onion, carrots, and basil in same skillet until carrots are tender.
- Stir in pea pods and water and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in apple.
- Combine apple mixture to chicken and serve hot over cooked rice.
Servings:Makes 4 servings.
Calories, 340; carbohydrates, 37 g; protein, 28 g; total fat, 9 g; saturated fat, 1.5 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 73 mg; dietary fiber, 5 g; total sugars, 9 g; sodium, 171 mg; calcium, 50 mg; folate, 30 mcg; iron, 2 mg; percent of calories from fat, 24%
Recipe courtesy of Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH)