1 tablespoon canola oil
¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
¾ cup fresh celery
1 cup fresh onions, peeled, diced
1¼ cups fresh carrots, peeled, shredded
1½ teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
2 cups cooked chicken strips, diced 1-inch (12 oz.)
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine brown rice and 2½ cups water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes. Fluff with fork. Set aside. A rice cooker may be used with the same quantity of brown rice and water.
- In a large pan, heat canola oil and chicken broth over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add celery, onions, and carrots. Cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine curry powder, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and yogurt. Add vegetables, brown rice, and chicken. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into a 9”x 9” nonstick baking pan. Bake uncovered at 400°F for 15 minutes. Heat to an internal temperature of 165°F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Serve hot.
Servings:Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each.
Nutrient analysis per serving: Calories,250 ; carbohydrate,31gm; protein,19gm; total fat, 5gm; saturated fat, 1gm; trans fat, 0gm; cholesterol, 40mg; fiber, 3gm; total sugars, 4gm; sodium, 370mg; calcium, 80mg; folate, 25mcg; iron, 1mg; percent calories from fat, 20%.