1 carrot chopped or shredded
1 green pepper, chopped
1 pound ground meat (turkey, chicken or beef)
14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
8 ounce can of mushrooms, drained or ½ pound chopped fresh mushrooms
8 ounce can of tomato sauce
¼ cup barbecue sauce
6 whole wheat buns split in half to make 12 or whole wheat English Muffins
- Wash hands with warm water and soap.
- Sauté onions, carrots, green pepper and ground meat in a 2 to 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushroom and barbecue sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Toast buns if desired. Spoon sauce over bun halves. Serve open-faced.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Servings:Makes 12 servings, Serving Size ½ bun.
Calories, 122; carbohydrate, 23 g; protein, 6 g; total fat, 1 g; saturated fat, 0 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 0 mg; fiber, 5 g; sodium, 321 mg; calcium, 72 mg; folate, 14 mcg; iron, 2 mg; percent calories from fat, 11%.